Monday, March 8, 2010

I read good! Warning - could contain spoilers.

I read - A LOT! People who know me (or are friends with me on Goodreads) know that I read at least five books month now - pre K-Bug I read two to three books a week. I often read so much that I forget the books I read the previous month. Though I have read some of the "heavy-hitters" or classics since graduating I have focused on leisure reading - mostly romance novels, popular fiction, and recommended books by my mom. I have not read a true classic in years.

I recently re-watched the movie "Jane Austen Book Club" which is based on a book. I decided to read the book but I wanted to read all of Jane Austen's books first. I've read Pride and Prejudice and LOVED it but I have not read her other books. Last week I started Persuasion. Usually I average at least 100 - 150 pages a day but when I stared this book I was only reading about ten to twenty pages at a time. I kept thinking - this is hard! I've had to slow way down to understand all the clever sultelness of Austen's work. Because I've slowed down I savor it more - I care more. Will Anne end up with Captain Wentworth? Will her sisters ever stop being so snarky? I love it! I cried at the end because I was so happy and so relieved for the characters (although the sisters never really get their come uppins (sp?).

After enjoying this book so much I decided to take more time in picking my books and take more time in reading them. I want this year to be filled with books that last a long time for me - ones I remember for years or even read again.

Are there books that you know that you will remember for years and years?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really loved Persuasion too! Supposedly it's the "grown up" Pride & Prejudice. I have lots of Jane Austen books (they're fun to read but I can still consider myself high-brow) so let me know what you want to read next and you can borrow it!