Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Frugal Living - Week 2

So here we are at Week Two of my goals and so far I'm doing pretty good. I haven't been to the gym yet BUT I did write down all the classes that take place before Gar goes to work and I've got a good idea which ones I'll go to - Yoga here I come! I've made all our meals at home - except for Gar's wonderful parents who took us out to Sabor last Friday and my wonderful parents for making us chile rellenos on Saturday (I should also mention that Gar fixed us breakfast Sunday). K-Bug and I have had tons of fun crafting and Gar and I have had fun watching our Netflix movies. I've learned, in the past two weeks, that part of living frugally is being willing to take risks and my friends, risks have been taken.

Monday night I was super jazzed about this recipe from Martha Stewart. I've never used a broiler but I didn't think it would be too hard. When Gar got home from work the pork was still cold in the center - not good. I'd already made the pineapple-avocado salsa and my mom had given me some left-over rice from her yummy chile rellenos so I turned the oven to bake and made bean burritos instead. Lesson learned - always have a back up! The next night we had the pork but it wasn't a big hit. It had a lot of brown sugar, cinnamon, and such on the outside and my normally very complementary husband came up with "interesting flavor" as his assessment of the meal.

Today I took a bigger risk. While grocery shopping I walked by the clearance table and noticed that the hair color I was looking at last weekend was on clearance for $2.38. Now, let me back up and tell you - I love my hair. It's my safety net. I may not be thin, but I have good hair. I may not be very nice in the morning, but I have good hair. I may not always pay my cable bill on time but ... you get the idea. Today I risked my safety net and bought that $2.38 hair color. I waited until K-Bug had her nap and I went to work on the color. After rinsing, conditioning, and
blow drying - I looked in the mirror and I really like it. It's a little darker than my natura
l color but it looks pretty good. I haven't gotten my toughest critic's (my brother) approval but I'm pretty sure we're looking at a win.















It's hard not having money to do whatever you want but I'm learning it might be more fun trying new things and knowing how hard you work for the things you do spend money on. I look at our house and our family and I know we have everything we need - we have a cozy house, lots of love, and now - new hair color.

Tomorrow I promise I will have some recipes - I've got some good ones!!!




2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I'm loving these posts :) You're so honest and funny, girl! Way to go! Keep inspiring me and your readers!!!

erin said...

Ooh, your hair color is very pretty. Great score on that one.