Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"She goes around in circles 'till she very, very dizzy..." - Cinderella

This week we are preparing for our home study. A social worker will come to our house and look around to see if it is conducive for a loving and healthy environment for a child. We've been cleaning like crazy - all the nooks and crannies. Even the dogs have been cleaned - and they better keep it that way (now if we can only get Garrett to clean up - just kidding). There is a lot of pressure put on the home study and I have been trying to relax but it's very stressful. I try to remember that of course our house is kid-friendly my nephew comes over, our friends' kids come over, and I even let my 23 year-old brother come over. I guess this is just the first official step we are taking towards the adoption - the no-turning-back step - and there's a certain amount of stress to that. 

Part of the stress of the home study is - how far is too far? Vacuuming, dusting, mopping all seem reasonable. Scrubbing the baseboards, washing the walls, using a toothbrush - maybe that was my step too far. I actually told my mom that last week was the deep clean week and that this week was for regular cleaning. Only a truly odd person has different definitions of clean. Those of you who know me well know my sick relationship with cleaning. I asked Garrett if we could make coffee for our home study - he said that was fine. The muffins and fresh cut flowers he thought might be too far. I have to remember - this isn't a brunch get-together with friends (so I guess having music in the back ground is too much?).

So, here's hoping I don't hand wash the covers of our books and Windex each of our CD cases. I just really hope every thing goes smoothly and that we get a good report.

Wish us luck,
mindy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No home could be safer, happier and healthier for a child than yours and Garrett's home; I have no doubt that the inspection will go over brilliantly! We'll be thinking positive things for you to better sway your already high odds of acing the exam!
Love the Bosworths

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Todd Ramsey's and saw your site on his blog. I had to leave a comment because my wife and I adopted our daughter from Ethiopia last year. I remember how stressed we were before the homestudy. We scrubbed stuff, made a fire escape plan, and backed quiche. When all was said and done, it was a tremendously easy thing and our social worker didn't stress over half the things were were concerned about. Anyway, good luck with your adoption process. It is a wonderful, crazy, terrifying, unbelievable journey.

Cheers,
Chris Kirk

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Todd's too and wanted to let you know that I am praying for a smooth journey for you and your husband. The decision to adopt is such a loving choice and I wish you the very best.