Sunday, April 20, 2008

Home Study - Accomplished

We are happy to say that our home study went amazingly well! We were super nervous but our Social Worker was very good at putting us at ease. Our shy dog - Luka was a little standoffish but she still thought we had great dogs. 

For those of you who are curious about the home study process I would be glad to share with you our experience. First of all I should say that we way over did the cleaning. You may be surprised to find out that she didn't look in our cabinets or drawers. If you're laughing right now - I totally deserve it. I cleaned everything. Though I may have done too much I was comfortable knowing that my house was in fact clean. 

We first sat down with the social worker for about an hour as she asked us a variety of questions. We were asked about our childhood, family, reasons for adopting, and our interests and personality. As long as you are honest, I think the questions are pretty easy to answer. You are talking about things that you know - yourself and your family - so there's really no trick questions. 

After the questions she wanted a tour of our house. We showed her the backyard, the family room, and where the baby's room will be. One thing I read that was helpful is to start baby proofing your house. Social workers like to see that it's something you are thinking about and its also just a good idea. We have some pretty silly dogs and I wouldn't put it past them to go around licking light sockets. 

The whole process took about two hours and we felt really good about it afterwards. I have to say that I slept so well that night knowing that the home study was done and that we are definitely on the road to adopting. 

Thanks,
mindy

No comments: